Are you too busy to make something special for Cinco de Mayo? The following Slow Cooker Tamale and Rice Bake is easy to put together, and “bakes” in the slow cooker. It utilizes a few convenience items such as a can of flavored tortilla chips, frozen tamales, and canned green enchilada sauce. Even if you don’t celebrate Cinco de Mayo, this easy all-in-one Mexican dish is great for anytime.
If you can’t find salt free fajita seasoning, mix 2 tablespoons paprika, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon whole oregano, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon crushed chipotle pepper, 1 teaspoon cayenne, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary in a bullet blender or spice blender; process until the spices are finely pulverized. (If a blender isn’t available, you can use a mortar and pestle.) Store in an airtight container.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups Converted Rice, (such as Uncle Ben's)
2 cups hottest tap water
2 teaspoons granular chicken bouillon
1 1/2 - 3 teaspoons salt-free fajita seasoning
2 cups medium salsa
3 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
5 3/8 ounces canned Tortilla Chips (such as Pringles Loud Corn Crisps), coarsely crushed
1 15 oz. can green enchilada sauce
12 frozen tamales
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat; add the rice and stir-fry until golden brown.
- Transfer the rice to a 4-6 quart slow cooker and spread out evenly.
- Mix the chicken bouillon and fajita seasoning with the hot tap water.
- When the bouillon has dissolved, stir in the salsa; pour over the rice.
- Spread 2 cups of the grated cheese over the rice layer; sprinkle the chips evenly over all and top with the green enchilada sauce.
- Arrange the tamales over the top of the enchilada sauce; sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and let cook 4-6 hours or until the rice is cooked through and has absorbed all excess liquid.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 141
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 42% Protein 12% Carb. 46%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 30 mg
Sodium 718 mg
Total Carbohydrate 39 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 11 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 9% Calcium 0% Iron 10%