Summertime is busy for everyone – yard work, pool parties, vacations, etc., and summer food needs to be simple to make. One of the best ways to prepare it is to use a slow cooker. Slow cookers don’t heat up the kitchen, and the food cooks without monitoring. The following Mexican Shredded Mole Beef is a perfect example and can be used for dozens of dishes. This yummy beef contains only three ingredients, so it takes only a minute or two to put together. Later, 15 minutes is all it takes to shred the beef and strain the sauce. There is enough for a crowd, or you can freeze leftovers.
This delicious beef is great for Mexican sandwiches on crisp freshly-baked rolls. It also makes a luscious filling for burritos, enchiladas, street tacos, and taquitos. Although there are dozens of varieties of mole, the most popular is the one that contains chocolate – chocoholics can be in heaven both during the main dish and dessert!
4 pounds beef chuck, or other beef such as tri-tip, top sirloin, etc
3 to 5 jalapeno peppers, stems and seeds removed
1 9 oz. package ready to serve mole, such as Dona Maria brand
2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed until smooth with 1/4 cup cold water.
- Place the meat in a 4-6 quart slow cooker; add the jalapeno peppers and pour the mole sauce over all. Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and let cook 6-8 hours or until the beef is tender. Strain the sauce, pressing as many solids from the jalapenos through.
- Remove any fat from the sauce (if you are making this ahead, and have a bit of time, place the strained sauce in the freezer - the fat will harden and can be easily removed).
- Shred the beef, removing and discarding any fat. Return the beef to the slow cooker, pour the sauce over and mix; stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Cover and cook on low until heated through; turn the setting to warm until ready to eat.
- Serve on buns or as a filling for burritos, street tacos, enchiladas, etc.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 137 Calories from Fat 52
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 56% Carb. 6%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 57 mg
Sodium 93 mg
Total Carbohydrate 2 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 19 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 23% Calcium 0% Iron 12%