Summertime is busy for everyone yard work, pool parties, vacations, etc., and summer food needs to be simple to make. One of the best ways to prepare it is to use a slow cooker. Slow cookers dont heat up the kitchen, and the food cooks without monitoring. The following Mexican Shredded Mole Beef is a perfect example and can be used for dozens of dishes. This yummy beef contains only three ingredients, so it takes only a minute or two to put together. Later, 15 minutes is all it takes to shred the beef and strain the sauce. There is enough for a crowd, or you can freeze leftovers.
This delicious beef is great for Mexican sandwiches on crisp freshly-baked rolls. It also makes a luscious filling for burritos, enchiladas, street tacos, and taquitos. Although there are dozens of varieties of mole, the most popular is the one that contains chocolate chocoholics can be in heaven both during the main dish and dessert!
4 pounds beef chuck, or other beef such as tri-tip, top sirloin, etc
3 to 5 jalapeno peppers, stems and seeds removed
1 9 oz. package ready to serve mole, such as Dona Maria brand
2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed until smooth with 1/4 cup cold water.
- Place the meat in a 4-6 quart slow cooker; add the jalapeno peppers and pour the mole sauce over all. Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and let cook 6-8 hours or until the beef is tender. Strain the sauce, pressing as many solids from the jalapenos through.
- Remove any fat from the sauce (if you are making this ahead, and have a bit of time, place the strained sauce in the freezer - the fat will harden and can be easily removed).
- Shred the beef, removing and discarding any fat. Return the beef to the slow cooker, pour the sauce over and mix; stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Cover and cook on low until heated through; turn the setting to warm until ready to eat.
- Serve on buns or as a filling for burritos, street tacos, enchiladas, etc.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 137 Calories from Fat 52
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 56% Carb. 6%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 57 mg
Sodium 93 mg
Total Carbohydrate 2 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 19 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 23% Calcium 0% Iron 12%