Having brunch guests and want something easy but spectacular? It’s much easier to make one big pancake than to sit next to the stove or griddle and make dozens of little ones. And, when you only have to make one, every wedge is hot at the same time. The ingredients for this luscious and beautiful Fresh Summer Fruit Puff Pancake are simply whizzed in the blender; the fruit is prepared while the pancake bakes. For larger crowds, you can make several at a time, depending on how many 9-inch skillets you have (cast iron makes a better puff), and how much room you have in your oven.
This gorgeous pancake takes less than 10 minutes to mix for baking, and only a few minutes while it’s baking to prepare the fruit. Baking time is only 20-25 minutes. It’s easy enough for a family breakfast, and spectacular enough to serve guests. It’s also the perfect way to showcase the luscious fruits of summer.
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 lemon, seeds removed
1/3 cup powdered sugar
3 cups fresh summer fruit, such as peaches, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.
1/2 cup orange marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Place the butter into a 9" cast iron frying pan (cast iron makes it puff better, but you can use any heavy skillet) and place in the oven to melt the butter while you mix the pancake ingredients.
- Measure the milk, eggs, and almond extract into a blender container; add the flour, salt, and sugar.
- Whizz until smooth, scraping down the sides at least once.
- When the butter is melted and the pan is hot, pour the batter into the pan.
- Put the pan back in the oven and bake for 18-25 minutes or until puffed and brown.
- Meanwhile, cut the fruit, if necessary (slice strawberries, peel and cut peaches into chunks), and place it in a bowl.
- Heat the orange marmalade in the microwave so it is liquid, and stir it into the fruit.
- When the pancake is puffed and brown, remove from the oven and squeeze the 1/2 lemon over the surface; sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut into wedges and top with the fruit mixture. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 293 Calories from Fat 77
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 26% Protein 6% Carb. 68%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 89 mg
Sodium 288 mg
Total Carbohydrate 50 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 13% Calcium 0% Iron 4%