Making a Morning Devotion Valuable
When I don’t have time for hours of study and meditation, I find a short passage, pray for understanding, and then do what it tells me.
For instance, this morning I read a passage in the book of Colossians. It was only five verses, but could easily be my life mission. Because I’ve spent time in the Bible, and because the Holy Spirit helps me remember what I’ve learned, other Scripture and articles came to mind while I meditated on this verse.
Read it in your favorite Bible translation. The following is my understanding of the passage.
- Verse 12a ---Since God has chosen me to be his own. He called me, drew me Jesus Christ, and enabled me to believe.
- Verse 12b --- Put on, clothe myself, wrap myself in (This is what others see when they look at me.) mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
- Mercy-- Someone is showing mercy by not doing to me what I deserve to have done to me because of my own poor judgement.
- Kindness – courtesy, gentleness, good will
- Humility – Thinking of and treating others as more important than yourself.
- Gentleness – kind, not severe or rough. See A Fruit of the Spirit
- Patience – bearing with annoyance without complaint, loss of temper, or irritation
- Verse 13--- Make allowance for the faults of others. When someone offends me, forgive them because Christ forgave me many faults.
- Verse 14--- Even more than the traits mentioned, put on love. This is what binds us all together in perfect harmony.
See Bible verses about love.
- Verse 15 ---Let the inner calm that comes from staying close to Christ be in control of my heart. As I was called to be a member of the body of believers, I was also called to this peace. I will be thankful to God always.
See The Lord is Peace
- Verse 16a ---I will be filled with the message of Christ. I will teach and counsel others with that wisdom, as they do the same for me.
See 1 Peter 3:15
- Verse 16b ---I will sing psalms and spiritual songs, worshipping God with a grateful heart and mind.
- Verse 17 ---Whatever I do and whatever I say, I’ll remember I am a representative of Jesus Christ. I give thanks through him to God the Father.
See Colossians 3:23-24
You Should Also Read:
The Fruit of the Spirit
Spiritual Growth - Sanctification
What Does it Meant to Be Holy?
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Lynne Chapman. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Lynne Chapman. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Lynne Chapman for details.