If you’re planning to construct an edible body at your annual Halloween BOO-ffet, most of the components can be made ahead. Every body needs a head, so the following Sinister Severed Head-Loaf which freezes well and is delicious, is a good place to start. Even if you’re not planning to serve a whole body, this head can be kept warm in a chafing dish and served with red barbecue sauce (blood).
While it’s creepy as a head on your dead body, this meatloaf is moist and juicy and you’ll want to make in a loaf pan year round (minus the teeth and eyes, of course). It makes a large meatloaf, so if you’re just serving it for a regular meal, you can make it into two meat loaves and freeze one for another day.
3 pounds ground beef
2 envelopes dry onion soup mix
1 6 oz. package stuffing mix
1 cup spicy barbecue sauce
Onion pieces, for garnish
1/2 pound bacon slices
1 Mozzarella Cheese Stick
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the ground beef, soup mix, stuffing mix, eggs, and barbecue sauce.
- Shape it into a head shape.
- Wrap the bacon over the head, diagonally.
- Press a mouth into the loaf, and place chunks of white onion to resemble teeth.
- Make a large indentation for eyes and nose.
- Place the head on a broiler pan (it lets any fat run down below).
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until cooked through and an instant read thermometer registers 140°.
- Remove from the oven.
- Press half of a mozzarella stick into each eye socket; they will melt as the loaf sits.
Note: Can be made up to 4 days ahead. If making ahead, do not add the mozzarella sticks until after reheating. To reheat, wrap tightly in foil and place in a 350° oven for about 20 minutes. Keep warm in a chafing dish or large shallow slow cooker.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 347 Calories from Fat 181
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 52% Protein 31% Carb. 17%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 125 mg
Sodium 962 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 27 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 22%