Fideo is a pasta dish said to have originated in Mexico. It is sometimes referred to as Mexican Spaghetti. While the name Fideo actually refers to the pasta itself, the meaning has evolved to mean the finished dish, which could mean a casserole, stir-fry, soup, etc. Fideo is cooked differently than regular pasta, in that it is browned in oil and then added to a dish containing liquid to finish cooking; it isn’t boiled in water. The following 30-Minute Fideo is quick and easy. You can sprinkle in some cayenne or add chopped hot chile peppers to give the dish some heat, if you like; it’s good either way.
30-Minute Fideo makes a quick weeknight one-dish meal. Just add a packaged salad on the side for balance. You can find Mexican fideo pasta in the Mexican section of most grocery stores. If you can’t find it, substitute angel hair pasta or similar.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of fat, veins, etc.
Fajita seasoning, (with salt)
7 to 8 ounces fideo (very thin vermicelli), broken into 1 inch lengths
1 medium onion, chopped
4 medium Roma tomatoes, cored and chopped
1 cup water
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon salt free fajita seasoning
1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a large skillet with a lid.
- Add the chicken breasts, sprinkling them liberally with the fajita seasoning.
- Brown the breasts on both sides; the chicken won't be cooked through.
- Remove the breasts from the pan, cut into 1/2" chunks, and set aside.
- Pour the remaining oil into the skillet; add the fideo and stir constantly (medium heat) until it is evenly golden brown.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, except cheese.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and cover.
- Let cook 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the pasta is just done.
- Stir in the cheese and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 445 Calories from Fat 172
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 39% Protein 33% Carb. 29%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 19 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 96 mg
Sodium 815 mg
Total Carbohydrate 32 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 36 g
Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 27% Calcium 0% Iron 8%