Are you looking for something good that is authentic Irish to serve on St. Patrick’s Day? Traditional Irish Fadge is a time-honored Irish potato bread that is fried in butter. In this recipe, to save time, the potatoes are microwaved until tender; they are then quickly mixed with butter, salt and enough flour to either roll or pat out. Sometimes the more simple a recipe, the better it tastes in the end, and that applies to this fadge.
I like to serve fadge with bacon and fried eggs. It’s also good with Irish sausages or ham. Fadge is also good as an accompaniment to soups or salads – it’s the ultimate quick bread.
If you’re inclined to go all out and prepare a full Irish breakfast, Fadge is perfect – it can be added in addition to or instead of Irish soda bread.
1 pound potatoes, Idaho or russet work well as opposed to waxy potatoes
1/4 cup softened butter (preferably Irish)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 to 1 cup flour
2 tablespoons butter, for frying
- Wash the potatoes, poke them with a fork in several places, and place them on a microwave-safe plate; microwave until tender.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, and, using a potholder to hold the hot potatoes, peel them with a sharp knife.
- Mash the potatoes, add the butter and salt, and mix in enough flour to make the mixture stiff enough to roll.
- Transfer to a floured surface.
- Divide the dough into two pieces and roll each to a circle 8-9" in diameter and 1/4" thick; cut the circle into quarters.
- Heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat; add 1 tablespoon butter and add four of the quarters.
- Let cook until golden brown on the bottoms; turn and let cook on the other side until golden brown and cooked through. Serve immediately with extra butter.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 181 Calories from Fat 79
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 6% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 23 mg
Sodium 383 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 14% Calcium 0% Iron 5%