Iíve made mistakes. Many and serious. The memory of them is a heavy load. They weigh me down. Dwelling on them makes for a bad day. And Satan, that devil, that father of lies is certain to remind me of every shameful act. He brings to mind each sad memory until Iím feeling very small. To make me feel worthless. But Jesus reminds me I am not worthless. I am worth a lot to him.
In John 8:44 Jesus called Satan the father of lies. When I speak of ďthe worldĒ Iím speaking of Satanís kingdom. (2 Corinthians 4:4)
- When the world tells me I am unlovableóno one cares enough to defend meóGod tells me I am loved. He loved me before I even knew him. He loved me when I was at my worstóbefore I realized I needed him. (1 John 4:19)
- When the world tells me Iím dull and not very smart, God reminds me heóthe Creator of the universeócreated me. I am wonderfully complex. His work is perfect. (Psalm 139:14)
- When everyone in the world seems to be better than me, God tells me Iím made in his image. I am an image bearer. (Genesis 1:26)
- When the world tells me Iím worthless. When I feel my work isnít good enough. God tells me I am his workmanship. And I was created for good works that He prepared in advance for me to do. (Ephesians 2:10)
- When the world tells me I am nothing, God tells me he has crowned me with glory and honor. (Psalm 8:5)
- When the world tells me I am the least of the followers of Jesus, God tells me I am equal. We are all one in Christ Jesus. (Galatians 3:28)
- When I feel ugly, God tells me Iím beautiful. He has placed eternity in my heart and I still canít imagine the scope of Godís work. (Ecclesiastes 3:11)
- When I am lonely, Jesus calls me his friend. He share Godís word with me. (John 15:15)
- When I feel worthless, God tells me Iím a gift and a reward. (Psalm 127:3)
- When I feel worthless, God tells me Iím valuable to him. (Matthew 6:26)
- When I feel unattractive God tells me of my inner beauty that is imperishable. (1 Peter 3:4)
- God tells me I am flawless. (Song of Solomon 4:7)
So on those days when Satan is whispering discouragements in my ear, who will I believe? The father of lies or my Heavenly Father who spoke the universe into existence?