With all the hype over the Instant Pots, cooks are forgetting that slow cookers are still very convenient and take very little hands-on time. They are perfect for when the cook must be away from the kitchen, and they cook on the counter and don’t heat up the kitchen. When the weather starts getting warm, it’s time to get out the slow cookers and take advantage of the time-saving aspects and convenience. While Instant Pots have a slow cooker function, it isn’t the same as the standard old-fashioned slow cookers (the cooking temperature is higher and the “crock” is made of metal). Most kitchens need both. The following Indonesian Chicken Curry is made in the slow cooker.
This recipe was loosely adapted from an excellent cookbook, The Family Table Slow Cooker: Easy, healthy and delicious recipes for every day by Dominic DeVito. If you want a good slow cooker cookbook with mouthwatering new recipes, this is a good choice.
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
3 green onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
1-3 fresh jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, and sliced
1 red bell pepper
1 cup bok choy, or cabbage sliced
2 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, and cut into sixths
2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- Clean the chicken breasts, removing any veins, gristle, fat, etc.
- Cut them into 1 - 1 1/2" chunks; place them in the bottom of a 3-5 quart slow cooker.
- Mix the sesame oil, ginger, onions, and garlic in a microwave-safe container; microwave 2 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder, cumin, rice vinegar, and honey.
- Spread the mixture over the chicken chunks.
- Pour the coconut milk over all and sprinkle with the jalapeno pepper slices.
- Cover, set the slow cooker to low, and let cook 3-4 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- Stir in the red bell pepper, bok choy, and tomatoes; add the cornstarch mixture.
- Cover the slow cooker, turn the heat to high, and let cook an additional 30 minutes to one hour or until thickened.
- Stir well and serve over rice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 330 Calories from Fat 178
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 54% Protein 35% Carb. 11%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 76 mg
Sodium 81 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 29 g
Vitamin A 32% Vitamin C 65% Calcium 0% Iron 20%