Guest Author - Brandii Lacey
Judy, a hardworking mother of three, works as nurse at the hospital. She kindly offered to take an unexpected shift that happened to fall on Mother’s Day.
In order to continue the family’s tradition of “breakfast in bed” for Mom, her family celebrated on Saturday morning. They had the usual pancakes, eggs, bacon, and lots of flowers and cards. It was an enjoyable morning, but little did Judy know, it was just the beginning of a Mother’s Day celebration!
After Judy left early Sunday morning for work, her family went to work on a her Mother’s Day Surprise Dinner.
Mother’s Day Surprise Dinner Menu:
Judy’s Favorite Rib Roast
Slow Cooker Veggies
Mom’s Brownie-Peppermint Cupcakes
Judy’s Favorite Rib Roast:
• 1 five pound standing rib roast
• 6 garlic cloves
• 4 shallots
• 5 sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped
• 4 tablespoons of thyme
• 3/4 cup chopped shallots
• 2 cups beef broth
• 1 /2 cup Dijon mustard
• Spread mustard liberally over roast.
• In a food processor, combine rosemary, garlic, thyme and shallots together.
• Spread mixture over roast.
• Place Roast in a preheated 400 degree oven for twenty minutes.
• Turn oven down to 350 degrees, and continue cooking roast for approximately 2 hours or until cooked through.
• If desired, serve with a pack of instant gravy or sauce of your choosing.
While Dad was working on the roast, the kids helped with the veggies and dessert.
Slow Cooker Veggies
• 1 can of sweet corn
• 1 can of green beans
• 2 cans tomatoes
• ½ cup shallots
• 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 2 teaspoons of pepper
1. Place all ingredients in slow cooker and mix well.
2. Cook on low for six hours or high for three.
Mom’s Favorite Brownie Peppermint Cupcakes
• 1 box of brownie mix
• 1 cupcake pan
• 1 bag of peppermints
1. Make brownies according to package directions.
2. Place brownie mixture into cupcake holders.
3. Add one peppermint to each cupcake.
4. Bake according to directions on package.
When Judy returned home after a long day at the hospital, she could not believe what her family had done. They had a wonderful meal together, and it’s one Mother’s Day surprise that won’t soon be forgotten.