What a fun and fresh salad for the 4th of July! It has nutritious dark greens and fruit. Who says healthy eating can't be fun?
- 1 pound spring salad mix
- 1 star fruit sliced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 cups strawberries, washed and sliced in half
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup mild provolone cheese, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs raspberry jam
- Rinse and dry the salad mix if necessary.
- In a large bowl combine the salad mix, strawberries, blueberries, star fruit, and almonds.
- Mix the vinaigrette by whisking the olive oil, vinegar, and jam together.
- Just before serving whisk the vinaigrette again.
- Add the cheese and the vinaigrette to the salad. Toss well.
Note: Star fruit's real name is carambola. It's easy to spot in the grocery store by its yellow waxy skin. They are usually 3-5" long. When cut the star fruit is a 5 pointed star shape. Star fruit looks tough, but it bruises easily. The taste of star fruit is a cross between an apple and a kiwi. They make a great addition to fruit salads. The crisp texture gives a nice bite. It's perfect when the only apples available are mushy. Star fruit can be used as a garnish to plates or on the rim of a glass and does not need to be peeled. Star fruit is an excellent source of vitamin C.