Red, White, & Blue Salad Recipe
What a fun and fresh salad for the 4th of July! It has nutritious dark greens and fruit. Who says healthy eating can't be fun?
- 1 pound spring salad mix
- 1 star fruit sliced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 cups strawberries, washed and sliced in half
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup mild provolone cheese, cut into 1/4" cubes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs raspberry jam
- Rinse and dry the salad mix if necessary.
- In a large bowl combine the salad mix, strawberries, blueberries, star fruit, and almonds.
- Mix the vinaigrette by whisking the olive oil, vinegar, and jam together.
- Just before serving whisk the vinaigrette again.
- Add the cheese and the vinaigrette to the salad. Toss well.
Note: Star fruit's real name is carambola. It's easy to spot in the grocery store by its yellow waxy skin. They are usually 3-5" long. When cut the star fruit is a 5 pointed star shape. Star fruit looks tough, but it bruises easily. The taste of star fruit is a cross between an apple and a kiwi. They make a great addition to fruit salads. The crisp texture gives a nice bite. It's perfect when the only apples available are mushy. Star fruit can be used as a garnish to plates or on the rim of a glass and does not need to be peeled. Star fruit is an excellent source of vitamin C.
You Should Also Read:
Red White & Blue Potato Salad Recipe
Red, White, & Blue Italian Potatoes Recipe
Pasta Nicoise Sauce Recipe
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.