This risotto recipe with lemon and rosemary is a favorite of mine for its delicate but rich flavor. It is great served in small portions as a first course, as well as a side for many different entrees.
If you want to add more substance to this risotto, beat 2 egg yolks in ½ cup of milk with some lemon juice and add to the rice together with the lemon zest and the chopped rosemary, as described in step #6 below. You will have a great single nutritious dish everybody will like.
Ingredients and Instructions (serves 6):
- 1 pound/500 grams of Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1/2 pound/250 grams of leeks, cleaned
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- the zest of 1 large lemon, grated
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, finely chopped (leaves only)
- 4 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 quarts/1 1/2 liters of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of white wine, dry
- extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 5 tablespoons/75 grams of butter
- Sliced the leeks (just the white part) and let simmer for about 25-30 minutes with 2 tablespoons of butter, a pinch of salt and one cup of water.
- In a large skillet sauté the chopped shallots in oil with the fire on low.
- Add the rice, let it toast for a minute or so, then add the white wine, stir and let evaporate.
- Add the leeks already stewed with their cooking juice.
- Begin to add one ladle of the broth, stir and continue until the liquid is fully absorbed. Repeat with the rest of the broth, one ladle at a time.
- After about 15 minutes of cooking, add salt and pepper, ¾ of the grated lemon peel and finely chopped Rosemary.
- When the rice is cooked, take the skillet off the fire, blend in the remaining butter and the grated Parmesan and stir gently, until the risotto has taken a nice creamy consistency.
- Serve immediately, garnishing the dishes with the remaining grated lemon peel and Rosemary.
Wine suggestion: Italian Pinot Grigio, Soave or Verdicchio are my suggestions for risotto with lemon and rosemary.
Simple Delicious Italian Recipe is the perfect cookbook for any Italian food lover.
Buy and download your copy today from the BellaOnline eBook page.