Moscato Wine Gelatin Recipe
To prepare wine gelatin, any type of wine can be used, red, white, sweet, like Moscato or even with a sparkling wine like Prosecco or Spumante d’Asti. You can pick any wine you like and create your own personal wine gelatin recipe. All kind of spices and herbs can be used to infuse the wine, from cinnamon to all spice, star anise, clove, mint or bay leaves, anise or fennel seeds. Orange, lemon and other citrus fruit peel can also be added to the wine for flavor or, finely grated, used as topping.
The recipe I created here is for Gelatina di Moscato, perfect as a dessert any time of the year and particularly in summer, to enjoy al fresco.
Ingredients and Instructions (serves 8):
• 1 bottle/0.75 liter of Moscato wine
• 1 cup/200 grams of sugar
• 2 packets of unflavored gelatin
• the peel of 2 small lemons
1. Peel the 2 lemons with a sharp knife, in long strips. Juice them in a cup and reserve the juice.
2. Pour 1/4 cup of the Moscato wine in a small heatproof bowl and sprinkle gelatin granules over it. Let it rest for a few minutes, without stirring.
3. Meanwhile, pour the rest of the wine in a large saucepan, add the lemon peels and place over medium heat. When the wine starts bubbling along the edge of the pan, remove it from the heat, cover and let rest for 20-30 minutes. This will steep the wine and infuse it with all the flavor from the lemon peel.
4. While the wine is steeping, fill a pan half way up with water and bring to a very light simmer; place the cup with the gelatin mixture in it and stir until all the granules are completely dissolved. The liquid should become clear.
5. By now, the wine should be well infused. Discard the lemon peel, add the lemon juice and the sugar to the pan, return to the stove over medium heat and stir to dissolve the sugar.
6. When the wine starts making small bubbles again along the edge of the pan, remove from the heat, add the gelatin and stir well.
7. When the wine is completely cooled, pour in individual wine glasses or champagne cups. Cover each glass with plastic wrap and place it on a tray, the transfer the tray to the refrigerator. Wait until the wine gelatin becomes firm – at least 3 ½ hours – and served chilled, topping each glass with sliced fresh fruit, berries or crumbled Amaretto cookies.
Simple Delicious Italian Recipe is the perfect cookbook for any Italian food lover.
Buy and download your copy today from the BellaOnline eBook page.
You Should Also Read:
Italian Sweets & Desserts
Sicilian Cannoli Recipe
Peaches in Marsala Wine
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Cinzia Aversa. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Cinzia Aversa. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.