A delightful cake recipe is a specialty of Sicily. It is filled with a delicious ricotta cheese filling.
Cassata alla Siciliana
- 1 fresh Pan di Spagna (or substitute pound cake)
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbs heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbs orange flavored liqueur
- 3 Tbs candied fruit, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- confectioners sugar for topping
- Cut the Pan di Spagna horizontally into 4 even layers.
- With a mixer, beat the ricotta cheese until it is smooth.
- Mix in the cream, sugar, grated chocolate, and orange liqueur.
- With a spatula fold in the candied fruit.
- Place the bottom layer of cake on a flan pan or dish and spread it with 1/3 of the ricotta-chocolate mixture.
- Place another layer of cake on top of the filling, keeping the sides and ends even.
- Spread with 1/3 of the ricotta-chocolate filling.
- Repeat with another layer of cake and filling.
- Top with a plain layer of cake on top.
- Gently press the cake together.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Before serving sprinkle confectioners sugar over the top.
Note: To simplify the construction process, bake the cake in a springform pan. When preparing the layers place them in the clean spring form pan. After chilling you can remove the spring form frame.