Sicilian Cake with Chocolate Filling Recipe
A delightful cake recipe is a specialty of Sicily. It is filled with a delicious ricotta cheese filling.
Cassata alla Siciliana
- 1 fresh Pan di Spagna (or substitute pound cake)
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbs heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbs orange flavored liqueur
- 3 Tbs candied fruit, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- confectioners sugar for topping
- Cut the Pan di Spagna horizontally into 4 even layers.
- With a mixer, beat the ricotta cheese until it is smooth.
- Mix in the cream, sugar, grated chocolate, and orange liqueur.
- With a spatula fold in the candied fruit.
- Place the bottom layer of cake on a flan pan or dish and spread it with 1/3 of the ricotta-chocolate mixture.
- Place another layer of cake on top of the filling, keeping the sides and ends even.
- Spread with 1/3 of the ricotta-chocolate filling.
- Repeat with another layer of cake and filling.
- Top with a plain layer of cake on top.
- Gently press the cake together.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Before serving sprinkle confectioners sugar over the top.
Note: To simplify the construction process, bake the cake in a springform pan. When preparing the layers place them in the clean spring form pan. After chilling you can remove the spring form frame.
You Should Also Read:
Amaretto Chocolate Mousse Cake
Budino al Cioccolato
Love Knot Cookies
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.