Guest Author - Chris Curtis
Before you begin your project you should decide on a theme and choose your design elements such as:
• Clip Art
• Head Line
You can combine any one or more of these elements to make a unique gift.
Materials you will need include:
• Inkjet heat transfer paper – Avery transfer paper is recommended
• Mousepad blank designed for heat transfer
• Appropriate pictures or graphics
How to design:
• Launch Print Shop
• Select Transfers from the Project Picker
• Choose Start from Scratch to have the greatest creative freedom
• Wide - Select 8 ½ by 11 sized paper
• Measure the mouse pad blank – you will need to keep the design objects within these dimensions.
One technique is to draw a rectangle the proper size. The rectangle should contain "no fill" and a visible border so that you can determine your outside border. Position your design objects within this boundary.
• Layout your design objects
• Print on heat transfer paper. Be sure use "mirror" image print options when printing to the transfer paper. Print your project on paper first to assure any text is coming out in reverse mirror image so that when it is transfered to the mouse pad blank it comes out readable.
The head transfer paper will include instruction with the correct heat settings and instructions for the removal of the paper. Be sure to read the instructions carefully to assure the best results.
• Use the Photo Workshop Button (camera) to choose from 9 different cropping tools or freehand. Crop your pictures in a unique way.
• Use Paint Shop's Headline Text to insert a title or greeting
• Use WordArt in MS Word or Powerpoint to design your greetings, then copy and past it into the Print shop project layout.
• Use the rotate handle to position photos or greetings at interesting angles
• Add a frame around the picture or around the border
• Add a Radiant Glow or Drop Shadow to the Headline
• Use Special edges or Transparent effects
Ideas for your design layout:
• Family photo collage
• Grandchildren or children
• Special hobby
• Antique Car
As you create your gift, don't be afraid to use your imagination. Your thoughtful gift will show the love you have for the person for which you are designing it. Most of all have fun and enjoy the project.