These sandwiches combine flavors of Italy with my home state of California. They are easy to make, but perfect for parties, picnics, half-time, or any time you need a great sandwich.
- 1 pound roast beef, sliced thin for sandwiches
- 1 16 ounce jar roasted red bell peppers, julienned
- 1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh oregano, crushed
- 2 Tbs pesto
- 2 Tbs mayonnaise
- 1/2 pound Monterrey Jack cheese, sliced thin for sandwiches
- 4 round, large rolls (kaiser rolls work well)
- 1 tomato, sliced thin for sandwiches (optional)
- In a bowl mix the julienned roasted peppers, minced garlic, and oregano. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the pesto and mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Open the rolls. On the bottom on each roll place 1/4 of the roast beef.
- Top the roast beef with some of the peppers.
- Place a slice of Monterrey Jack cheese on each sandwich top with a slice of tomato.
- Spread top of each roll with 1 Tbs of the pesto-mayonnaise.
- Place the top of the roll on the sandwich, cut in half, and serve with a smile.
Note: These sandwiches can be served hot. Prepare the pesto-mayonnaise and peppers ahead of time. Place the roast beef in a crock pot with 2 cups beef broth and 2 cloves of garlic. Bring to a simmer and then lower the heat to keep warm. Place the cheese, rolls, tomatoes, pesto-mayonnaise, and peppers near the crockpot and allow diners to assemble their own sandwiches.