This recipe uses the body of the squid to make a delightful dish.
- 6 medium size squid
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh oregano, crumbled
- 1 Tbs parsley, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup Pecorino-Romano cheese, freshly grated
- 1 1/2 cups simple or marinara tomato sauce
- In necessary cut off the tentacles from the squid and set aside.
- Clean out the the inside of the squid. You can gently turn the squid body inside out to fully clean.
- Trim off the wings of the squid and set aside with the tentacles.
- Remove the spotted membrane that covers the squid.
- In a bowl mix the bread crumbs, garlic, 2 Tbs olive oil, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Gently stuff the squid with the bread crumbs, don't over fill. Keep any left over bread crumbs.
- In a medium skillet pour the tomato sauce plus 1 Tbs olive oil and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Gently place the stuffed squid in the sauce and spoon sauce over the squid. Lower the heat to medium and cover the pan. Cook the squid for 4 minutes on each side. Don't stir the squid too much!
- Turn the heat to low and gently stir in any remaining breadcrumbs.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the Pecarino-Romano cheese.
- Serve with linguine cooked al dente.