Hmmmm, this healthy soup is a great way to prepare for swimsuit season without feeling like you're on a diet.
This soup is based upon the healthy Mediterranean style diet that has been proven to be a healthy option for dieters and those interested in heart health.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 quart brodo di carne (or chicken broth)
- 2 potatoes, diced small
- 2 cans evaporated milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- Cut the eggplants in half horizontally. Place the halves on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven for 30 minutes at 350F (they should be very soft when done). Remove and allow cool enough to handle with your hands.
- In a soup pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the shallots, garlic, and leek until soft.
- Scoop out the meat of the eggplants and add to the pot.
- Add the brodo di carne and potatoes to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer the soup for 10 minutes (until the potatoes are soft).
- Remove from heat and process in a food processor or blender.
- Strain and return to the soup pot.
- Add the evaporated milk, salt, white pepper, red pepper flakes, and coriander and heat through without boiling.
Note: Serve with bread and a salad. You may opt to garnish with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.