Experiencing God as Jehovah-Shalom is realizing peace. This is peace that is unlike anything that we know in this world. It is not found in the absence of conflict or in the use of positive thinking. It is beyond our understanding. This is the peace that comes from knowing that God in control and that we are children of the King, bound for the kingdom. [Philippians 4:7 John 14:27 ]
When we accept Jesus as our savior, that peace is ours, but you may know as well as I do that experiencing it isn't automatic. We can still hold onto worries and concerns. To know Jehovah-Shalom we have to believe the promises of God.
There is an Old Testament story that demonstrates this.
Sarah and her husband Abraham were destined to be the parents of the entire nation of Israel. God promised it. Abraham and Sarah were childless and well past the child bearing years so bearing children was not something that Sarah could understand.
Sarah's lack of trust in God's promise kept her from experiencing Jehovah-Shalom. She tired of waiting for the promised child so she schemed and used natural ways to produce a child for her husband, causing heartache for herself and for others. Sarah missed out on years of peace by not resting in God's promise, for eventually she did give birth to a son by His supernatural power and in His timing.
I'm very much like Sarah. I forget to trust the promises that are recorded in the Bible. I worry and fight against difficulty and finally, when I have exhausted all my strength and submit the struggle to God, His miraculous, supernatural peace is mine. It was there all the time.
Look up the verses below, memorize and meditate on them. They are a good place to start in order to experience Jehovah-Shalom
- He searches the whole earth to strengthen anyone whose heart is fully committed to Him. He has places us where He wants us and He will give us the strength to complete the task. 2 Chronicles 16:9
- When we have a difficult decision to make, we can ask God for His eternal perspective. He promises to give us the wisdom to make the right choice. James 1:5
- God will take care of all our needs, both physical and spiritual. Philippians 4:19
- God is the rock under our feet and our salvation. Psalm 62:2
- He will use the difficulties in life to help us grow in character. Romans 5:3
- With God's help we will do mighty things. Psalm 60:12
| || || |