Tips on Cat Care While You're Away - Caregiver's Home
If it's not possible to arrange for someone to come to your home or for you to board your kitty, you might choose to take your cat to a relative, friend or neighbor's house. Many of the tips in the above articles apply - i.e. providing plenty of your cat's food, litter and box, medications, veterinarian information, your itinerary and contact information, etc.
Below are some additional questions and concerns you should consider in choosing the right caregiver for your cat.
- First and foremost, does your chosen caregiver like cats? If not, s/he is probably not the right person to care for your beloved kitty.
- Does your chosen caregiver have pets? Would they be in contact with your cat? Do they get along?
- Would your kitty have an area (room or etc.,) of her/his own? If not, are the conditions conducive to your cat's well-being?
- Are there children in the house?
- How does your cat respond to strangers?
- What about unfamiliar surroundings?
If possible arrange a few visits, with your cat, to your caregiver's house in order to give kitty a chance to get acclimated to the caregiver's home. This will help your cat become familiar with your caregiver's house while you are there, and is sure to ease your mind about whether your kitty is comfortable away from home.
In addition, take along something familiar. If your cat has a favorite toy (or toys) or bed, those would be excellent choices. A favorite rug, blanket or anything to help kitty feel more secure while at your caregiver's house are all possible options. You might also decide to bring along something of yours (possibly a shirt or shoe - something with your scent on it), to remind your cat of you while you're apart.
You Should Also Read:
Tips on Cat Care While You're Away - Home Care
Tips on Cat Care While You're Away - Boarding
Cats & Kittens Poster Shop
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Melissa Knoblett-Aman. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Melissa Knoblett-Aman. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Melissa Knoblett-Aman for details.