Grilled Italian Hamburgers Recipe
These burgers bring a fresh flavor to your cookouts.
- 1 ½ pound ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 pound Asiago cheese, sliced
- Mix together all ingredients except the cheese.
- Shape into 4 equal size patties. Push your thumb into the center, making a slight indentation. This will keep the burgers from getting too plump in the center.
- Grill over direct medium heat for 5 - 7 minutes on each side.
- Top with cheese about 1 minute before the burger is done.
- Serve on buns spread with pesto mayonnaise.
Note: The history of the hamburger is much more complicated than assumed. Cultures around the world and throughout history have eaten ground meat formed into a patty. Sometimes it was raw (Steak Tartare) or cooked. In the 17th century German sailors brought back Steak Tartare from Russia to the German port city of Hamburg. When the German ships traveled the world they took their cuisine with them. The meat dish was called "Hamburger Steak." In New York the food vendors wanted to attract the German sailors to their food stands. They began cooking and serving beef in the "Hamburg style." Don't confuse this Hamburg style steak with the hamburger or hamburger steak we know today. The meat of the Hamburg steak was salted, smoked, and often had onions and breadcrumbs. It was generally not made with ground beef, but a piece of steak that was beaten with a meat mallet to tenderize it.
You Should Also Read:
Quick and Easy Italian Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.