Italian Spinach and Apple Soup Recipe
This soup is surprisingly hearty and refreshing. The flavors of spinach and apple compliment each other perfectly.
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Tbs flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound spinach, shredded
- 1 Roma apple, minced
- 3 fresh sage leaves, minced
- 1 8 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- ½ tsp nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbs parsley, finely chopped
- Over medium heat melt the butter in a large soup pot and sauté the onion until translucent.
- Add the flour and cook until it just begins to turn gold.
- Add the chicken stock slowly, stirring well until thoroughly mixed through. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the apple, sage leaves, and spinach and cook until tender.
Place the soup in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Return to the pot and mix in the evaporated milk.
- Reheat slowly over medium-low heat.
- Add the salt, pepper, parsley, and lemon juice.
Note: For a more decadent version use cream instead of evaporated milk. To adapt this as a vegetarian recipe, substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock.
Spinach is full of healthy nutrients and low in calories. Spinach not only builds strong bones, but may sharpen your wits. Research is showing promise that a diet that includes spinach improves learning, motor skills, and other mental abilities. There are hopes that spinach will help prevent age related mental declines. The Vitamin K1 in spinach activates osteocalcin, the major non-collagen protein in bone. Just 1 cup of cooked spinach has 1000% of the daily recommended requirement. Add a cup of spinach to your diet and you will almost no need to vitamin supplements.
You Should Also Read:
Chicken & Spinach Frittata Recipe
Spinach Walnut Pasta Sauce Recipe
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.