Guest Author - Brandii Lacey
Spider Cupcakes and Muffin Pumpkin Faces are two recipes that will delight kids of all ages!
Halloween Spider Cupcake Recipe
• 1 box of cake mix, any flavor
• 3 eggs
• 1 stick of butter
• Non stick cooking spray
• 1 bag of Twizzlers
• 1 large bag of M & M’s
• 1 container of vanilla frosting
• Food coloring
• 1 Jumbo muffin pan
• 1 regular size muffin pan
• 1 mini muffin pan
1. Preheat oven according to box directions.
2. Spray the three muffin pans with a non stick cooking spray, such as
3. Mix all of the ingredients for the cake mix.
4. Pour the cake mix into each muffin pan.
5. Bake according to cake mix directions.
6. While cupcakes bake, fill four bowls with the icing.
7. Add the food coloring until you reach the desired color.
8. Place bowls of icing and candy on the kitchen table.
9. After cupcakes have cooled, remove from the pan.
10. To make a giant spider, combine one jumbo cupcake (this will be the spider’s body) with one regular size cupcake (this will be the head).
11. To make a regular size cupcake, combine a regular size cupcake (this will be the body) with a miniature one (this will be the head).
12. Small Twizzler pieces may be used to join the body to the head, or you can simply put a little frosting in between to help hold it in place.
13. Spread icing over the cupcakes.
14. Use the Twizzlers for spider legs, and the M n M’s for the spider’s
eyes. You can also use any other candy you have on hand.
Muffin Pumpkin Faces
This recipe is a nice alternative to sugar filled Halloween treats, and was created by my niece.
1. Muffin Mix (Corn, Blueberry, Cranberry—it doesn’t matter
4. Pretzel sticks
5. Cream cheese
6. Orange food coloring
7. Orange marmalade
1. Bake muffins according to package directions.
2. If desired, you can create the orange look one of two ways:
a. Add a few drops of orange food coloring to a small bowl of plain cream cheese and spread on top of the muffins.
b. Spread a layer of orange marmalade on top of the muffin.
3. Place the nuts, cranberries, raisons, and pretzel sticks in an assembly style line on the table.
4. Let your kids take a muffin (or two) and make their way down the assembly line of ingredients.
5. Cranberries are perfect to create a smile (or frown). Nuts can be used to create the nose or eyes.
6. Pretzel sticks make for some funny looking pumpkin hair!