Meringue cookies are low fat and low in sugar. Enjoy these cookies as a light ending to a heavy meal. They make a healthy alternative to many desserts.
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp almonds, finely chopped
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheets.
- In a small bowl mix together the cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine egg whites, almond extract, and salt. Beat with a whisk or electric mixer until soft peaks form. When you lift the beater out of the whites the peak will curl.
- Add the cinnamon-sugar mixture a tablespoon at a time. Beat the egg whites until the peaks stand up straight.
- Gently fold in the chopped almonds.
- Using a tablespoon, drop well-rounded spoonfuls of the meringue mixture onto the baking sheets, 1” apart.
- Bake at 250F for 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow the cookies to dry in the closed oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and gently peel the cookies off the cookie sheets and store in air tight containers.