This dish is a flavorful favorite that features the best of Italy. The combination of wine, herbs, garlic, and tender chicken make this a flavorful dish.
- 4 pound cut chicken pieces
- ¼ pound pancetta or bacon, cut in ½” pieces
- 6 cippolini onions or 3 white onions, sliced thin
- 1 Tbs butter
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1½ cup dry red wine
- 4 shallots, chopped
- ½ pound fresh, white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 Tbs fresh thyme (1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp sugar
- In a large pot or Dutch oven sauté the pancetta until it starts to crisp. Remove the pancetta and set aside.
- Sauté the onions over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove the onions and set aside.
- Add the butter and olive oil to the pot and heat over medium-high heat.
- Brown the chicken, turning till golden on all sides.
- When all pieces of chicken are browned lower the heat and return all pieces of chicken to the pot.
- Add the shallots, mushrooms, garlic, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper, sugar, onions, and wines to the pot. Mix all ingredients.
- Bring the pot to a boil and immediately reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and cook the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the pancetta.
Note: This elegant but easy dish can be made ahead—It’s even better when re-warmed.
When serving plate the chicken with the vegetables. Serve the sauce on the side. Mashed potatoes or polenta make good partners for the flavors of the chicken. Add a fresh green salad and bread for a complete meal.
The flavors of this dish are firm enough to pair with a red wine. You may also want to serve a fresh tasting Pinot Grigio.