Sole Fillets in Marsala Cream Sauce Recipe
This dish combines together rich flavors to create a sauce that will leave you reaching for the bread.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 Tbs butter
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 ounces small, white mushrooms, halved
- 1 Tbs black peppercorns
- 8 sole fillets
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1 pint heavy cream
- In a saucepan place the water, onion, carrot, and bay leaf, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow the stock to simmer for 1 hour.
- Strain the stock into a bowl or large measuring cup. Discard the items strained from the stock.
- In a skillet heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add the shallots to the skillet and cook until just soft.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the peppercorns and sole fillets to the skillet.
- Cook the sole fillets for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Pour the Marsala wine and stock over the sole fillets and allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the fish and keep warm.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the sauce to a boil for 5 minutes. The sauce should be reduced and thickened.
- Lower the heat to low. Add the cream to the sauce and heat through.
- Plate the fish and serve with the sauce over the fish.
Note: This fish dish pairs well with wild rice. I also like to serve with a salad of freshly grated carrots dressed with olive oil and freshly ground black pepper.
For a great alternative substitute shrimp for the sole fillets.
You Should Also Read:
Authentic Chicken Marsala Recipe
Peaches in Marsala Wine
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.