Cinco de Mayo, which, translated means the 5th of May, is a Mexican holiday commemorating the Mexican victory at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Not only is this holiday celebrated in Mexico, it has been adopted by Americans and is celebrated in many parts of the US, as well as other countries in the world. Most of these celebrations include Mexican food. This Mexican Fried Ice Cream is a perfect dessert to end a great Mexican meal at a Cinco de Mayo party, or any other meal where Mexican food is served.
Mexican Fried Ice Cream is usually eaten only in restaurants. Itís not difficult to make at home, however, and will be a great success as long as the ice cream balls are frozen solid. When itís time to serve dessert, they take only 1-2 minutes in the deep fryer before getting drizzled with caramel and chocolate toppings, whipped cream, and a cherry. Iíve included links to my favorite caramel and chocolate toppings, but if youíre in a hurry, you may substitute high-quality store bought toppings. I think youíll agree, this is a dessert to impress!
Mexican Fried Ice Cream
1 1/2 quarts highest quality vanilla ice cream
4 cups cornflakes
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
Vegetable oil for frying
1/2 cup Decadent Caramel Sauce or Basic Caramel Sauce
1/2 cup Decadent Chocolate Truffle Sauce or Hot Fudge Topping
2 cups sweetened whipped cream
8 maraschino cherries, with stems
- Scoop 8 equal size balls from the ice cream (about 3/4 cup each).
- Transfer the balls to a parchment-lined baking sheet and put them in the freezer until frozen solid, several hours or overnight.
- Place the cornflakes in a Ziploc-type bag, seal the bag, and coarsely crush with a rolling pin.
- Pour the crushed cornflakes onto a large plate and add the cinnamon and sugar; mix well.
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and beat them with a fork.
- Remove the ice cream balls from the freezer.
- Dip each ball in the beaten egg, then roll in the crumbs.
- Press the crumbs into the balls with your hands.
- Dip the coated balls into the egg mixture a second time and roll them in the crumbs.
- Place the coated balls back on the baking sheet and return them to the freezer for at least 8 hours or until they are frozen solid.
- Once the balls are frozen solid, they may be placed in a sealed freezer bag and kept frozen for up to two months.
- When ready to serve, preheat the deep fryer to 400į.
- Place the ice cream balls in the hot oil, 2 or 3 at a time, turning occasionally until they are crisp, 1-2 minutes.
- Remove to a paper-towel lined baking sheet to drain.
- To serve: place a fried ice cream ball in a serving bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of caramel topping, then chocolate topping.
- Add a scoop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 494 Calories from Fat 204
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 7% Carb. 51%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 115 mg
Sodium 140 mg
Total Carbohydrate 63 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 18% Vitamin C 16% Calcium 0% Iron 7%