When heads of garlic are drizzled with olive oil and roasted, the cloves take on a smooth, rich, and mellow flavor. After roasting, the cloves are easily squeezed from the skins, and are delicious when mashed and spread on crisp baguettes or added to mashed potatoes and other vegetables. Most recipes call for roasting the garlic in the oven; this method takes a bit of time, but provides golden caramelized cloves, which are perfect for spreading. In the case of this Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise, it is not necessary for the garlic to be caramelized by long baking, and the head of garlic may be quickly roasted in the microwave. This method makes the following sandwich spread extremely fast and easy.
It’s amazing how only four ingredients can come together to make a delicious spread that will complement the filling in any sandwich. Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise can be put together in just a few minutes, but will keep in the refrigerator for a month or two.
Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise
1 head garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
2 cups mayonnaise
1. Cut the pointed end off of the head of garlic, exposing the cloves.
2. Drizzle the cloves with olive oil.
3. Place on a microwaveable dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
4. Microwave on high power for 4-6 minutes, or until the cloves are soft.
5. Let cool, then squeeze the cloves out of their skins and transfer them to the bowl of a food processor.
6. Pulse the cloves until finely chopped.
7. Add the spicy brown mustard and mayonnaise;
8. Process until smooth.
9. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 months.
Amount Per Serving (1 tablespoon)
Calories 95 Calories from Fat 94
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 99% Protein 0% Carb. 0%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 5 mg
Sodium 85 mg
Total Carbohydrate 0 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 0%