As a hairdresser by profession, I pride myself in being able to work with hair and producing almost any style using simple tools of the trade. For instance, I would create a messy ponytail using an elastic band and hairspray and sometimes a curling iron and a few bobby pins.
When I’m out in the stores, I often look for gadgets that are produced for the purpose of helping the non-professional hair enthusiast to create their own stylish looks. I picked up “The Fan Tail,” by Vidal Sassoon, at a local accessories store. The “Fan Tail” was supposed to help me create the latest look in messy updos and to do it in seconds. There were two sets of instructions inside the package for both fine hair that is medium in length and for thick hair that is long in length.
- I brushed all of my hair back into a ponytail and secured it with an elastic band.
- I placed the “Fan Tail” on top of the ponytail. It was difficult to see whether the ponytail was supposed to be up or hanging down. I tried both ways.
- There are hooks on the underside of the device. I twisted the device clockwise until I felt the hooks go into my hair and tighten.
- This is where I ran into trouble.
I was supposed to be able to pull some hair through the center hole of the “Fan Tail” to help conceal it. I found this very difficult. I felt as though I needed a tool such as a crochet hook to pull the hair through. There was nothing available.
- Next, I was to take sections of hair from the ponytail and secure them in the small hooks that are around the outside of the device. I found this very difficult and couldn’t manage it.
- After that, I was to back-comb the hair and then enjoy my messy ponytail. Unfortunately, I didn’t get that far. I gave up. I failed at achieving the desired effect. In fact I never came close.
The “Fan Tail” has the Vidal Sassoon name on the package, however in reading the small print on the back, I found that it is actually produced by Helen of Troy. I searched their website, hoping to get some tips in using it, but couldn’t find the “Fan Tail” listed.
I would be happy to hear from any readers who have used the “Fan Tail” whether successfully or unsuccessfully. If successfully, please tell me how you did it.
Update: Read about the response from Customer Support. Help For Fan Tail Users
Perfect Wedding Hair - Ebook
Your wedding day.
Perfect in every way with
"Perfect Wedding Hair" Ebook.
EBook - Updos for Every Occassion
Updos for parties, proms,
weddings or the office.
Follow these simple instructions
to begin creating them yourself!