Swedish Meatballs are not only classic comfort food, they are loved by almost everyone, even the pickiest of eaters! When prepared the traditional way, they can be time- consuming. If, however, you have homemade meatballs from the Meatball Module already in your freezer, this homey dish, with accompaniments, can be prepared in under 30 minutes.
I like Swedish Meatballs best served with creamy mashed potatoes, and while I wouldn’t ever serve instant potatoes to anyone I care about, I’ve found that the frozen ones are actually quite good, and will do in a pinch. If you plan ahead, and have leftover mashed potatoes from a previous dinner, you need only stir in a little milk or cream and microwave them until they are heated through. Otherwise, these meatballs are delicious served over rice, which can be cooking in the rice cooker while the meatballs simmer, or with your favorite pasta, which cooks in about 10 minutes after the water boils. In our house, if mashed potatoes aren’t available, my kids prefer Swedish Meatballs served over plain old-fashioned egg noodles rather than fancy shaped pasta.
To complete the meal, you’ll have just enough time to put a tossed salad together and set the table while the meatballs are simmering.
Shortcut Swedish Meatballs
8 Servings (6 meatballs each)
1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup flour
2 cups double strength beef broth, canned, or you may use four bouillon cubes dissolved in 2 cups hot water
48 meatballs from the Meatball Module
1/4 cup whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet;
2. Add the onions and stir over medium heat until they are limp.
3. Sprinkle the flour over the onion/butter mixture and stir until the flour is absorbed by the butter.
4. Whisk in the beef broth;
5. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened (3-5 minutes).
6. Add the meatballs and simmer for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
7. Taste the sauce for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 314 Calories from Fat 205
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 65% Protein 19% Carb. 15%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 100 mg
Sodium 3445 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 15 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%