Creamy Salmon & Peas with Pasta is the perfect dish for a cook in a hurry. It can even be prepared on a weeknight, since it’s truly one of those meals that can be prepared in less than 30 minutes (even without a television crew, a sous chef or two, and assistants like the television chefs have).
Once you get the water boiling for the pasta, there is minimal chopping; the actual cooking takes about 10 minutes, so it’s done as soon as the pasta is ready. If you get interrupted (unlike television chefs), the pasta can be kept warm up to 30 minutes by draining it in a colander, putting the colander back into the pan that the pasta was cooked in, and putting the lid on; there will be enough heat from the pan and the pasta to keep the temperature up for a short time.
To save more time, purchase garlic and onions that have already been chopped; both are available in the produce department of most grocery stores. It’s also helpful to purchase a piece of salmon that has already had the skin removed.
All you need for a complete meal is some good, crusty bread which can be picked up at a local bakery on your way home from work.
Creamy Salmon & Peas with Pasta
6 ounces pasta, such as penne
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound fresh salmon, cut into 1" chunks
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 cup frozen peas
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente; drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
- Add the salmon, garlic, and onions to the pan.
- Stir fry until the salmon is browned on all sides and the onions are soft.
- Sprinkle with the dill weed, salt, and pepper.
- Add the whipping cream, and bring to a boil, stirring to coat the salmon pieces.
- Stir in the frozen peas and continue to cook 1 minute.
- Drain the pasta well.
- Mix the pasta with the salmon mixture and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 393 Calories from Fat 216
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 55% Protein 23% Carb. 22%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 118 mg
Sodium 477 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 23 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 9% Calcium 0% Iron 11%