Homemade Buns are something most busy cooks would never think of making; until now, that is. With an automatic bread machine to do most of the work, actual hands-on time for light and delicious hamburger, hot dog, or barbecue buns is only 15-20 minutes. Rather than rolling out and cutting the buns, I’ve included a quick way to shape the rolls; they’re pretty too, so the lucky recipients will be extremely impressed!
If you’re planning to serve these buns with Stuffed Hamburgers, you’ll want to make them bigger; cut the dough into 12 strips instead of 16.
Bread Machine BBQ Buns
12 or 16 buns, depending on size
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup powdered milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 3/4 - 4 cups flour
1 tablespoon yeast
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Measure the water into the pan of the automatic bread machine.
- Add the egg, powdered milk, sugar, butter, and salt.
- Add the flour, then the yeast.
- Turn the machine to the dough cycle and start.
- Check the dough after about 5 minutes; it should be soft, but hold its shape.
- If it is too soft to hold its shape, add the additional 1/4 cup flour;
- If it is too stiff, add a few tablespoons water.
- When the cycle has finished, transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, preferably a Pastry cloth.
- Roll or pat the dough into a rectangle about 12” x 14”.
- With a pizza cutter, cut the dough in half horizontally, then vertically into 8 strips (or just cut into 12 or 16 long strips depending on the size of buns).
- Tie each strip into a knot, then tuck both ends under the roll, forming a rosette.
- Place the rolls on parchment covered baking sheets.
- Cover loosely with a dish towel.
- Let the rolls rise until they are doubled in bulk. You can tell if they are doubled by pushing the side of one of the rolls with your finger; if the indent from your finger stays, the dough has risen sufficiently. If the dough springs back, it hasn’t risen long enough.
- Beat the egg and milk until smooth.
- Carefully brush the rolls with the egg mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Note: To shape Hot Dog Buns, roll or pat the dough into a rectangle 3/4 “ thick. Using a ruler and pizza cutter, cut the dough into strips 1 1/2 “ wide and 5” long.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 164 Calories from Fat 34
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 21% Protein 12% Carb. 67%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 33 mg
Sodium 260 mg
Total Carbohydrate 27 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Purchase a Black and Decker Automatic Bread Machine from Amazon
Purchase a Cuisinart Automatic Bread Machine from Amazon