Makes about 1 dozen
1 pkg (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
Orange and black nonpariels
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Kneed cocoa powder into the dough; knead flour into the dough.
- Roll dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Using a bat template or cookie cutter, cut out bat shapes. Insert a drinking straw at the top of the bat shape for eyes. Place cutouts on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until firm, 12-15 minutes; let cook completely.
- Line a 15 x 11 inch baking sheet with foil. Using a small offset spatula and working quickly, apply about 1/3 cup softened ice cream to half the cookies. Quickly place remaining cookies, flat side down onto ice-cream topped cookies.
- Place batwitches on prepared baking sheet and cover pan loosely with plastic wrap. Freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Roll the edges of the frozen batwitches in orange and black nonpareils, gently pressing so they adhere. Shake off excess. Serve immediately or wrap securely in plastic wrap and return to freezer.
Tip: To soften the ice cream without excess melting let the ice cream stand (in its original container) in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before spreading onto the cookies.