Those little baby cucumbers are not only cute, they are delicious. Summer Cucumber & Red Pepper Salad uses them to advantage. This salad is delicious, and itís pretty, too, so why not take it to your next summer get-together; youíll receive raves!
Of course Summer Cucumber & Red Pepper Salad is also a good choice for a weeknight dinner, since it takes only 15-20 minutes preparation time. This salad goes well with grilled meats, chicken, or fish; actually it even goes will with leftovers!
Since this salad contains a minimal number of ingredients, itís possible to quickly prepare this easy salad in the morning before leaving for work. Itís okay to make it several hours before dinner and keep it in the refrigerator. But if youíre like me and decide at the last minute that this is what you want for dinner tonight, the chilling time can be shortened by putting it in the freezer for 15 minutes (just donít forget to take it out before the veggies freeze!). If baby cucumbers arenít available, substitute European cucumbers Ė choose the smallest you can find.
Summer Cucumber & Red Pepper Salad
8 baby cucumbers
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise, and with a spoon scoop out the seeds.
- Slice them in 1/4" slices and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Add the red bell pepper, cilantro, and poppy seeds.
- Mix the vinegar, sugar, and oil; a blender works well, but it is okay to whisk it by hand.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumber mixture, stir to mix, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until well-chilled.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 168 Calories from Fat 127
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 76% Protein 3% Carb. 22%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 12% Vitamin C 43% Calcium 0% Iron 3%