Pasta doesn’t have to be dripping with sauce to be decadent, as is evidenced by this Pasta with Crab and Asparagus. It’s very quick and easy; everything can be prepared in the short time that the pasta is cooking. Once the pasta has been drained, it just needs a quick toss with the sauce and dinner is ready.
If you can get fresh crab, that’s certainly the best; make sure you pick through it thoroughly for small pieces of shell. If you live in an area where fresh crab isn’t plentiful, the cans of pasteurized crab are available in the refrigerated section of warehouse stores or the fish counter at the grocery store. This canned crab is usually shell-free, so it is a real timesaver.
You can vary the ingredients in this easy dish; substitute raw shrimp and cook it in the browned butter until they turn pink. You can also add about 1/2 cup of whipping cream to the butter mixture and stir in the Parmesan cheese before mixing with the pasta. No matter how you prepare it, you won’t have to spend much more that 15-20 minutes in the kitchen.
Pasta with Crab and Asparagus
6 ounces angel hair pasta, or vermicelli
1 pound fresh asparagus
1/3 cup butter
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
8 ounces lump crabmeat
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta.
- Snap the asparagus, then cit it into 1” pieces.
- When the pasta is almost done, add the asparagus let it cook 2 minutes.
- Pour the asparagus and pasta into a strainer and drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet, watch closely as it turns a light brown.
- Add the lemon juice and crab and stir until the crab is warmed through.
- Transfer the drained pasta and asparagus to the crab mixture and toss well.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 439 Calories from Fat 228
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 52% Protein 21% Carb. 27%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 25 g
Saturated Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 167 mg
Sodium 802 mg
Total Carbohydrate 30 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 23 g
Vitamin A 37% Vitamin C 73% Calcium 0% Iron 8%