Grilled Chicken and Zucchini Linguine is a great main dish that takes less then 30 minutes to prepare. While Pasta dishes are always popular and can be prepared many ways, this summer dish is especially good because it’s made with zucchini and fresh mint. Since both the zucchini and mint are extremely prolific and by mid-summer overflowing the garden, most of us are searching for new ways to use them up. In this quick and easy dish, the grilled zucchini and chicken are complemented by the subtle mint and garlic flavors.
The main seasoning ingredient in this quick and easy pasta dish is Garlic Infused Olive Oil, which takes about 2 minutes of hands-on time to mix, and a day or two to develop the flavor. Besides this pasta dish, Garlic Infused Olive Oil can be used to add flavor when sautéing meat, poultry, or vegetables; it can be brushed on anything that is being grilled, and adds extra flavor to salad dressings. Alternatively, Garlic Infused Olive Oil is available in some grocery stores, but is expensive.
While lemon pepper is a familiar standby, there are lots of great new rubs and seasonings on the market today; you can use your favorite to sprinkle on the chicken before grilling. I used one of the new Weber Grill Creations called Sweet’n Savory Salmon, which is supposed to be used for seafood; my family likes it on chicken, and it was delicious in this dish. If you like, you can brush a little of the garlic infused olive oil over the chicken along with salt and pepper.
All that is needed to complete this quick meal is some crusty bread; for those who must have dessert, there are several quick and easy summer desserts on this site, or serve some ice cream with store-bought topping or even root beer floats.
Grilled Chicken & Zucchini Linguini
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed of any fat, veins, or other unappetizing things
lemon pepper, favorite seasoning salt, or dry rub
1 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil
4 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4" slices diagonally
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 pound linguine
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped and loosely packed in measuring cup
3-4 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to high.
- Sprinkle with the lemon pepper or other seasoning on both sides of the chicken. .
- Brush the garlic infused olive oil over the zucchini; sprinkle with salt and pepper, then turn the slices over and repeat.
- Place the chicken breasts on the grill, turn the heat off under the chicken (indirect heat), and place the zucchini on the same side as the chicken.
- Close the lid to the grill and let cook 5 minutes.
- If the zucchini or chicken doesn’t get good grill marks, you can turn on the burner under them for a minute or two, but turn the heat underneath off for most of the cooking time to eliminate the possibility of burning.
- Turn the chicken and zucchini and cook until the chicken is barely cooked through and the zucchini is tender.
- Remove from the grill, slice the chicken breasts diagonally, and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the linguini; cook until al dente.
- Drain the pasta well, add the mint, 3-4 tablespoons of the garlic infused olive oil, the chicken, and the zucchini. Toss and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 398 Calories from Fat 130
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 22% Carb. 45%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 95 mg
Total Carbohydrate 45 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 22 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 19% Calcium 0% Iron 10%