Risotto With Pumpkin Recipe
Ingredients and Instructions (serves 4):
- 1 pumpkin, about 1 pound/500 g of weight
- 1 /2 onion
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1 and 1/2 cups/300 g of Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1 quart/1 liter of good unsalted beef stock
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- Wash the pumpkin, peel it, cut it in half, remove the seed and membrane, then cut it in small dices, about 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) thick.
- Warm up the beef stock in a pot and get it ready to use.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion very finely, heat the oil in a large, heavy pan and sauté the onion and the pumpkin over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula. Add a little broth as needed to keep the pumpkin moist while cooking.
- When the pumpkins is tender, add the rice, a pinch of salt and cook for a few minutes while stirring –gently and constantly – until the rice absorbs all the moisture in the pan and the grains become translucent with just a small white spot in the center.
- Add the wine, 1 cup of stock and cook until absorbed. Continue cooking the risotto by adding 1 cup of stock at the time (make sure is very hot) and letting the rice absorb all the moisture before adding the next one; continue stirring the rice often but gently while it cooks, to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. .
- When the rice is almost done (this should take about 15 minutes, but check often after the first 10) add salt to taste and a little pepper if desired.
- Remove from the heat, add the butter and the grated Parmesan cheese, stirring and mixing once more. The consistency of risotto should be creamy but the grains not very soft.
- Serve at once bringing more cheese to the table.
Wine pairing note: The delicate but still rich pumpkin risotto goes well with a nice, crisp white wine, like a Chardonnay, but also with a nice sparkling wine – not sweet – like a Prosecco.
Simple Delicious Italian Recipe is the perfect cookbook for any Italian food lover.
Buy and download your copy today from the BellaOnline eBook page.
You Should Also Read:
Risotto & Polenta
Saffron Risotto alla Milanese Recipe
How to Make a Perfect Risotto
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Cinzia Aversa. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Cinzia Aversa. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.