If you’re looking for a 30 minute end-of-summer meal that doesn’t heat up the kitchen and requires minimal cooking, this Chicken and Zucchini Salad is perfect. It’s versatile, too, since you can grill the chicken, sauté it in a skillet, use leftover chicken, or use the meat from a rotisserie chicken. You can even leave the chicken out entirely and substitute shrimp.
End of summer means trying to find new ways to use zucchini from the garden. Mint is just as prolific, if not more so; I use it extensively as a garnish on desserts, to line baskets to fill with fruit, and in our favorite summer beverage, Tart and Sweet Mint Cooler, but mint also adds a nice flavor when chopped and added to salads. Grape tomatoes add color and sweetness; you can also use chopped tomatoes from the garden.
Thinly sliced zucchini takes on a new personality when briefly marinated in vinaigrette; you’ll love the change from cooked zucchini dishes. Chicken and Zucchini Salad is delicious and will become a quick and easy family favorite.
Chicken & Zucchini Salad
2 tablespoons red onions, chopped
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup vegetable oil
2 pounds zucchini, very thinly sliced
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
1/4 cup fresh mint, (loosely packed) coarsely chopped
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, (about 4)
seasoning salt, such as lemon pepper (your favorite), to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups gourmet salad mix
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup walnut(s), coarsely broken
- Dressing: In blender container process the 2 tablespoons red onion and the vinegar until the onion is finely chopped.
- Add the mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper and process until well-mixed.
- Turn the blender on low and gradually pour in the oil
- Continue blending until the dressing is thickened.
- Mix the zucchini, tomatoes, and mint in a large bowl
- Add 1/2 cup of the dressing and toss to mix.
- Let the zucchini mixture marinate while preparing the chicken.
- Cut off any fat or veins from the chicken breasts; sprinkle with seasoning salt.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet
- Add the chicken breasts and sauté over medium heat until just cooked through.
- Remove from heat, slice thinly, and add to the zucchini mixture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss, using more dressing as needed.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 375 Calories from Fat 247
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 66% Protein 27% Carb. 7%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 27 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 62 mg
Sodium 485 mg
Total Carbohydrate 7 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 25 g
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 32% Calcium 0% Iron 9%