Early fall everyone is mindful of the cliché, “So much zucchini, so little time!” One of the easiest and best ways to prepare zucchini is to grill it with several other garden vegetables. These grilled vegetables go well with any grilled meat, chicken, or fish, and can be grilled at the last minute; they take only about 10 minutes to cook. Since hands-on time preparing the vegetables for grilling is only about 10 minutes, this is a menu option you’ll choose often.
Make sure you grill plenty of vegetables; leftovers can be used to make yummy Grilled Vegetable Pizzas or Grilled Vegetable Panini. You can also drizzle them with your favorite Italian dressing for a delicious chilled salad.
Quick and Easy Grilled Vegetables
1 pound zucchini, cut on the diagonal into 1/2" slices
1 pound yellow summer squash, cut on the diagonal into 1/2" slices
2 red bell peppers, quartered and each quarter cut in half
1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
1/2 pound large fresh mushrooms, cut in half
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the grill to high heat, then turn down to medium.
- Place a grill rack on one side of the grill for the smaller vegetables.
- Mix all of the vegetables in a large bowl.
- Pour the oil over the vegetables in the bowl along with a generous sprinkling of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Mix well.
- Lay the zucchini and yellow summer squash slices on the side of the grill without the grill rack; arrange the other vegetables on the grill rack.
- Turn the heat to low, shut the lid, and cook for about 5 minutes or until browned on the underside of the vegetables.
- Open the lid, turn the vegetables, adjusting the heat if necessary; close the lid and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, about 5 more minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 115 Calories from Fat 65
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 57% Protein 9% Carb. 34%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 27% Vitamin C 87% Calcium 0% Iron 6%