Mediterranean Zucchini with Feta is proof that gourmet can be quick and simple. With just four ingredients, this dish can be put together in about 5 minutes and needs only 15 minutes in the oven. It’s elegant enough for company, but easy enough for a weeknight vegetable dish.
Choose zucchini that are 1 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter; that way they are tender and have a minimum of seeds.
The idea for this fabulous vegetable dish comes from my sister, Nicole, who has been preparing her asparagus this way for years to rave reviews from friends and family. If you happen to run out of zucchini (is it even possible?), do try it with asparagus; both vegetables are equally delicious.
Mediterranean Zucchini with Feta
3/4 pound small zucchini (2-3 small)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Wash the zucchini thoroughly and cut into 1/4' slices on the diagonal; transfer to a plastic Ziploc type bag.
- Measure the olive oil into the bag along with the salt.
- Seal the bag and massage briefly to coat the zucchini pieces with oil and salt.
- Dump the mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese evenly over the zucchini.
- Bake 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the zucchini is crisp tender.
- Serve immediately.
Variation: Mediterranean Asparagus with Feta: Wash the asparagus and snap the tough ends off of each stalk. Proceed as in the recipe above.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 87 Calories from Fat 63
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 72% Protein 14% Carb. 14%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 13 mg
Sodium 454 mg
Total Carbohydrate 3 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 13% Calcium 0% Iron 3%