Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Spicy Eggplant Dip Recipe
Eggplant is a great vegetable. It contains Nasunin,which is a potent antioxidant and free radical scavenger that has been shown to protect cell membranes from damage. In animal studies, nasunin has been found to protect the lipids (fats) in brain cell membranes.
Also it is rich in Phenolic Antioxidant Compounds.Researchers at the US Agricultural Service in Beltsville, Maryland, found eggplants are rich sources of phenolic compounds which function as antioxidants.
Eggplants also help in cardiovascular health and free radical protection.Studies with animals with clogged arteries was significantly reduced, while the walls of their blood vessels relaxed. This improved blood flow and were likely due not only to nasunin but also to several other terpene phytonutrients in eggplants.
Spicy Eggplant Dip
Eggplant with an added kick makes this a unique dip for your next dinner party.
2 medium eggplants, halved lengthwise
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
Salt and pepper
1. Heat oven to 400° F. Line a heavy baking sheet with heavy duty foil.
2. Brush the cut sides of the eggplant with 1 tablespoon of the oil and garlic powder. Arrange cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake until cut sides are browned and eggplant is soft (about 25 minutes).
3. Combine remaining oil and garlic in a skillet and heat over low heat until garlic sizzles. Stir in cumin and remove from heat.
4. Scoop out softened eggplant, chop finely and then add to skillet. Add ginger, bell pepper, and parsley. Stir mixture over low heat until blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve warm or at room temperature.
NUTRITION INFO (per serving)
Fat: 3.6 g
Carbohydrates: 5.3 g
Protein: 0.7 g
Content copyright © 2015 by Cindy Kimura. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Cindy Kimura. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cindy Kimura for details.
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.