One of the sure signs that it’s fall is the appearance of bales of hay holding pumpkins of every size and shape near the entrance to most grocery stores. Inside, baked goods containing pumpkin are everywhere, as well as cans of prepared pumpkin on the aisle end caps and baking displays. Most cooks take the bait and start preparing favorite dishes containing this nutritious squash. It’s always nice, however, to find a new recipe using pumpkin; Loaded Pumpkin Bars are quick and easy, and as their name implies, are loaded with lots of good things: nuts, coconut, dates, raisins, and chocolate chips. It would be difficult not to like these moist bars.
It’s easy to vary the add-ins, and you can also change the amounts to suit personal tastes. If you have the ingredients handy, these bars can be assembled in just a few minutes hands-on time. The pumpkin makes them moist, and they stay fresh when kept in an airtight container up to a week.
Loaded Pumpkin Bars
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons softened butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups canned pumpkin, (not pumpkin pie mix)
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups chopped dates
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugars.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt; mix well.
- Stir in the dates, pecans, coconut, chocolate chips, and raisins; mix well.
- Spread evenly in a parchment-lined or greased 11 x 17 jellyroll pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- When cool, cut into 48 bars.
- Store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 157 Calories from Fat 73
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 4% Carb. 49%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 112 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 71% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 4%