Creamed onions are a Thanksgiving Dinner tradition in many families, especially in areas of the South. Creamed Onion recipes vary, with many calling for blanching and peeling tiny pearl onions, which is a lot of work as well as time consuming. This recipe uses sliced onions, as well as a homemade Cream Soup Mix to save time. A microwave oven makes quick work of the initial cooking of the onions. To save on dishes, microwave the onions in the 2 quart casserole dish that the finished onions will be cooked in.
For those who plan to be busy on Thanksgiving day, this casserole may be prepared up to two days ahead and refrigerated; to keep the bread crumb topping crisp, don’t sprinkle it on until just ready to bake.
Shortcut Creamed Onions
3 large onions, peeled, quartered, and sliced (6-8 cups)
1/2 cup water
3 cups water
1 3/4 cups basic Cream Soup Mix
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
6 drops Tabasco pepper sauce
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Place the onions and 1/2 cup water in a large microwaveable container, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 8-10 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Whisk together the 3 cups water, Basic Cream Soup Mix, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco pepper sauce.
- Microwave 3 minutes, whisk until smooth, then microwave until bubbly and thickened, 4-6 additional minutes.
- Stir in the onions (with cooking liquid) and the Swiss cheese.
- Pour the mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Microwave the butter 20-30 seconds until melted; mix in the bread crumbs and spread them evenly over the onion mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Note: This dish can be prepared up to 2 days in advance and refrigerated. Store the buttered bread crumbs in a plastic bag and sprinkle them on the casserole just before baking.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 380 Calories from Fat 180
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 18% Carb. 34%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 490 mg
Total Carbohydrate 32 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 18 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 12% Calcium 0% Iron 5%