I’m always looking for new and different vegetable dishes to serve to my family and guests, especially for Thanksgiving dinner and other holiday parties. Company Carrot Bake is a delicious choice, and is perfect for the busy hostess, since the carrots can be cooked ahead, or you can use leftover cooked carrots. Mixing the ingredients in the food processor is quick; in fact, this dish can be put together in about 15 minutes – even faster if the carrots are already cooked. The texture is light, almost like a soufflé, and the bright orange color is a great contrast to the turkey, potatoes, and gravy.
Since my official tasters happen to include my grandchildren, I learned that even kids like this dish; it’s a good way to get them to willingly eat their vegetables.
3/4 pound carrots, peeled and sliced (2 1/2 to 3 cups) (or just use packaged baby carrots--no need to peel or slice)
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion flakes
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
Fresh parsley, for garnish, (optional)
- Butter a 2 quart casserole dish and preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place the carrots and water in a glass dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave 8 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Drain the carrots, reserving the cooking liquid, and place them in the food processor.
- Process until the carrots are finely chopped.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid, the dehydrated onion flakes, butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg, orange juice concentrate, sugar, flour, and eggs; process until smooth.
- Add the milk and pulse a few times until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if using, and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 150 Calories from Fat 79
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 53% Protein 11% Carb. 36%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 99 mg
Sodium 331 mg
Total Carbohydrate 14 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 247% Vitamin C 13% Calcium 0% Iron 3%