Christmas Egg, Bacon, & Potato Brunch Bake looks Christmassy because of the red and green peppers, but it’s a great quick and easy brunch dish to make all year round. It can even be made the day before and reheated on Christmas morning, allowing the cook to spend time with the family rather than in the kitchen.
To save time, purchase onions and peppers already diced; they’re available either frozen or fresh in the produce department. You can also substitute 2 tablespoons of dry onion flakes if you aren’t in the mood to chop onions. Since cooked crumbled bacon is now readily available, there’s no need to spend the time frying it and messing up your kitchen.
You’ll find that everyone loves this brunch casserole, and no one will guess that you spent so little time preparing it. My kids like to eat it with salsa to give it a little spice.
Christmas Egg, Bacon, & Potato Brunch Bake
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons Lawry's seasoned salt (or more to taste)
1/2 cup crumbled bacon
1 1/2 cups Frozen Southern Style Hash Browns, partially defrosted
1 cup grated cheddar jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- While the oven is heating, place the butter in a 9" deep-dish pie pan or 2 quart casserole dish and put it in the oven to melt.
- When the butter has melted, add the onion and peppers. Stir, then return the mixture to the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the peppers and onions are cooking, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, and seasoning salt.
- Stir in the bacon and hash browns.
- Pour the mixture over the onion/pepper mixture and stir a little to mix, making sure you don’t scrape the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If making ahead, remove from the oven and cool to room temperature; cover tightly and refrigerate.
- One hour prior to serving remove from the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature 25 minutes.
- Cover with foil and bake about 20 minutes at 350°.
- Uncover and bake 5 more minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 330 Calories from Fat 239
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 71% Protein 16% Carb. 13%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 27 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 265 mg
Sodium 842 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 14 g
Vitamin A 21% Vitamin C 20% Calcium 0% Iron 6%