Looking for a quick and easy casserole that everyone will like? Spicy Chicken and Mushrooms takes about 20 minutes hands-on time and only 30 minutes to bake. It can be made ahead and refrigerated or can be prepared just in time to bake it for dinner – whatever is most convenient for you.
I came up with this recipe about 25 years ago when I substituted a package of Schilling Season’n Fry, which had just come on the market, in a recipe that I found in a community cookbook. After several changes were made to that original recipe, Spicy Chicken and Mushrooms has become a favorite in my family and also in my five sisters’ families. One of my sisters even submitted it for publication as a personal recipe of her football coach husband in a best-selling Dallas Cowboys Wives Cookbook.
While I rarely use prepared spice packets because they taste packaged and have almost more preservatives that actual spices, Schilling Season’n Fry doesn’t have that industrial smell or taste that so many prepared seasoning mixes have. It gives the chicken an incredible flavor that I haven't yet been able to duplicate.
Spicy Chicken and Mushrooms
4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
2 eggs, beaten
1 3 oz. package Schilling Season'n Fry Chicken Seasoned Coating
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter, (no substitutes please)
1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, (bouillon dissolved in hot water is fine)
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Mix the sliced chicken breast pieces with the beaten eggs.
- In a baggie or on a plate, mix the Season'n Fry and the flour; pour in the chicken and mix well.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet; add the chicken mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the chicken is white, the coating is lightly browned, and the butter is absorbed.
- Stir in the mushrooms. Transfer the mixture to a 2 quart shallow casserole dish.
- Pour the chicken broth over the chicken and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350° until the cheese is crusty and the chicken is bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- If making ahead, cover and refrigerate; it will take about 45-55 minutes to bake.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 392 Calories from Fat 215
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 55% Protein 25% Carb. 20%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 146 mg
Sodium 1309 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 24 g
Vitamin A 16% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 8%
Note: If Season’n Fry Chicken Seasoned Coating isn’t available in your area, it can be ordered from the company at this link: McCormick.com; it’s worth it.