Mexican food is so good, I always like to find an excuse to serve it. Cinco de Mayo, which means the 5th of May, is one of those good excuses. Since they celebrate the battle of Puebla on the 5th of May in Mexico, I always borrow their holiday and serve Mexican food on that day. I’m certainly not alone; there are celebrations of this holiday all over America, and other parts of the world too.
This Cheezy Mexican Egg Bake is very quick to put together, and is perfect for a weekend brunch on Cinco de Mayo or any day that you want a good brunch casserole. To save time, you can purchase ham already chopped. For a change, you can substitute crisp crumbled bacon or well-drained cooked chorizo for the ham, or even cooked and drained spicy breakfast sausage.
If you aren't celebrating Cinco de Mayo, you can still serve this delicious casserole; it's great anytime. Since it takes so little time to put together, you'll want to make it often.
Cheezy Mexican Brunch Bake
6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 4 oz. can chopped mild green chilies
2 cups cottage cheese
1/2 pound lean ham , diced (about 1 3/4 cups)
5 cups cheddar jack cheese, divided
2 cups medium salsa
- Place the butter in a shallow 9 x 13" baking dish .
- Set the oven to 350° and put the pan in to melt the butter while the oven heats; remove from the oven as soon as the butter is melted.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a blender container; add the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Blend until smooth, scraping the sides down at least once.
- Stir in the green chilies, cottage cheese, ham, and 4 cups of the cheddar jack cheese.
- Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven; spread the salsa over the top, and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cheese on top.
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the center is set.
- Serve immediately with warm flour tortillas.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 406 Calories from Fat 263
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 65% Protein 26% Carb. 9%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 29 g
Saturated Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 290 mg
Sodium 1157 mg
Total Carbohydrate 9 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 26 g
Vitamin A 27% Vitamin C 20% Calcium 0% Iron 8%