Superbowl Sunday is not the time for fancy fru-fru appetizers. Those armchair quarterbacks want something substantial; they don’t want to leave the couch, so it’s got to be something close enough to the television that they won’t miss any of the game. These Sticky Honey Mustard Sausage Bites are easy to make, have only 4 ingredients, and are filling enough for the hungriest sports fans.
Bratwurst sausages are easy to find, but these appetizers are equally good made with English chipolatas. American sausages tend to be much larger in diameter than English sausages, so if you’re making this dish with a smaller version, they can simply be cut in half rather than into 1” chunks. If you have a favorite sausage, feel free to use it; just make sure you’re using uncooked sausages as opposed to the fully-cooked smoked varieties.
Sticky Honey Mustard Sausage Bites
12 Servings (more or less depending on how your team is doing)
1 1/2 pounds bratwurst, (uncooked) or other sausages such as chipolatas, 1" in diameter
3 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Toothpicks, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- With scissors cut each sausage into 6 pieces about 1" thick.
- Place the sausages in a single layer in a shallow glass baking dish.
- Bake 12 minutes or until the sausages are beginning to brown.
- In a small bowl mix the honey and mustards; microwave 45 seconds or until the honey is melted.
- Stir until well mixed, then pour over the sausages.
- Stir the sausages until they are coated with the honey mustard mixture.
- Return the sausages to the oven and bake 5 minutes; stir, then continue baking 5-10 additional minutes or until brown and sticky.
- Transfer the sausages to a serving dish, and poke a toothpick into each one.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 189 Calories from Fat 134
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 71% Protein 17% Carb. 12%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 341 mg
Total Carbohydrate 6 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 8 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 4%