St. Patrick’s Day is always observed on March 17th. It’s an important religious holiday in Ireland, and time is spent in Church and with family; green food is not served, nor is green beer (in fact, that would be considered a travesty and a slap-in-the face to St. Patrick). However, in other countries, including the US, the holiday is sometimes celebrated with raucous parties, parades, and green beer. Many families, especially those with young children, serve green food. These St. Patrick’s Day Pistachio Muffins make a great breakfast bread if you are one who leans toward the “green food” side, and although they won’t be served in any Irish homes on the holiday, they will delight children who don’t know any better.
These “from scratch” muffins are delicious, easy to mix up, and can be served anytime; the green food coloring is just for St. Patrick’s Day and can be omitted if you prefer to keep your teeth white or if it isn’t St. Patrick’s Day. Powdered food coloring is available at craft stores and restaurant supply stores.
1/4 cup butter
1/2. cup sugar
1 3 oz. package instant pistachio pudding
2 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon pistachio flavoring (if you can’t find pistachio, substitute almond or leave it out)
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
6 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon pistachio flavoring
Powdered green food coloring, (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Thoroughly spray 18 muffin cups with non-stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar, and pudding mix till smooth.
- Add the eggs and pistachio flavoring; blend well.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour mixture along with the milk, mixing just until the ingredients are incorporated.
- Fold in the pistachio nuts.
- Scoop the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups, using about 1/4 cup for each muffin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the muffins are beginning to brown around the edges and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and let them cool for a minute or two, then loosen from the edge of the pan.
- While the muffins are baking, place the butter in a glass measuring cup and melt in the microwave.
- Combine the sugar, pistachio flavor, and food coloring in a bowl and mix with a whisk or spoon until thoroughly combined. You may also use a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake until the ingredients are combined.
- Dip the top of each hot muffin in the melted butter, then in the green sugar mixture.
- Serve immediately with lots of real butter.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 212 Calories from Fat 68
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 40% Protein 8% Carb. 52%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 43 mg
Sodium 204 mg
Total Carbohydrate 28 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 4%