Lamb and asparagus are synonymous with springtime and Easter, so now is a perfect time to serve Springtime Lamb Chops with Mushrooms and Asparagus. Although this delicious recipe is quick enough for a weeknight, it’s fancy enough to serve to company and even makes a great choice for a small gathering at Easter dinner. The loin chops are so tender, juicy, and flavorful, you’ll find that everyone wants to lick the bones to get every bit.
A side dish of rice, either plain or one of the variations of the Quick Rice Mix, goes well with this dish, although baked potatoes, with all the trimmings, or even creamy scalloped potatoes, would taste equally good. Mixed baby salad greens, tomatoes, and seasonal vegetables make a great salad to serve with this entrée, especially with a light vinaigrette dressing. Crusty bread from the bakery is also a nice touch.
Springtime Lamb Chops with Mushrooms and Asparagus
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
8 lamb loin chops, 1" thick
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound fresh mushrooms, halved if they are small, or sliced if they are large
1 cup dry red wine
2 teaspoons granular beef bouillon
1 pound fresh asparagus, snapped, and cut into 1" pieces
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the lamb chops and brown on each side.
- Sprinkle the chops with salt and pepper, remove from the skillet, and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pan along with the garlic.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and cook until the onions are limp, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt and pepper and mushrooms.
- Continue cooking for 2 minutes, then add the lamb chops to the pan.
- Pour the wine over and stir in the bouillon.
- Let the mixture cook 7 minutes, uncovered.
- Turn the lamb chops and add the asparagus.
- Continue to cook until the asparagus is tender and the lamb chops are cooked through, 5-6 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 534 Calories from Fat 236
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 48% Carb. 8%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 26 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 182 mg
Sodium 317 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 64 g
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 69% Calcium 0% Iron 36%